Investigate and experiment the links between art and the public sphere! Explore new shapes of the artist’s role, understand what a community based project and a socially engaged artistic practice are!
Artists and society
Artists, Creative and Cultural Professions, Trainers/Coaches
for all sectors, photography, visual and graphic arts, music, webdesign, dance, media, performing arts
Level of experience
for all levels, Beginners, Intermediary, Experienced
Individuals with artistic / creative profiles and an interest in socially engaged practices. Attitude to work in group. Basic knowledge of relational approach in didactics and art.
Artists must develop a critical gaze on the public space, imagine and plan tools and languages for an artistic dialogue with the social sphere. This training takes place in the classroom and in the public space in 3 steps:
- an overview of artistic experiences based in the public space and brainstorming about the definition of public sphere;
- a focus on individual exploration of the urban context;
- the creation of artistic actions aimed to involve one or more social groups and to focus on a specific contrast or emergency detected in the previous steps.
- Step 1: Introduction and general framework of the concept of the public sphere
- Step 2: “Walking about”, an individual exploration of an urban context
- Step 3: Planning and outline of a creative action
Brainstorming, collective and shared creation. Work on self perception as a tool for the comprehension of the context. Immediate confrontation with the audience/public sphere.
Stimulate a critical review of the public sphere’s issues, through a verified quality of projects and operators, can represent a tool of territorial growth, re-launch and investigation, with drives from the local level to international directions, but in a different way compared to the noxious effects of globalization and colonization of imaginary and culture.
- To be able to understand your context(s) and audience(s)
- To understand better the artist’s role in society / community
- To become aware of socially engaged artistic practices.
- Basic equipment (computer, video projector, flipchart, wi-fi).
- Every participant will exploit his/her own tools, according to his/her competencies and sensitivity (camera, video camera, recording device, block notes and pen…).
Questionnaire to be filled out by the participants (given and collected at the end of the session)
slides, projection of foto and video examples
Other related recommended resources
Claire Bishop, “Artificial Hells: Participatory Art and the Politics of Spectatorship”, ISBN: 9781844676903 - “Living as Form: Socially Engaged Art from 1991-2011”, 978-0262017343
8 to 15
Français, Italiano, English
Past track experience
OrganisationCentro di Creazione e Cultura
Download📎 Module PDF (0.11 MB)